A couple of weeks ago I started work on a new military science fiction idea that had been stewing a bit in my mind – one that kept overshadowing the story I was working on so much, I decided to put the current story on hold and jump into the new one. One week and 10,000 words later, I was convinced that I was on the right track. So, like any patient person would do, I jumped the gun and commissioned cover art. Some may call it cart-before-the-horse, but I call it motivation. Now that someone else is working on artwork for the story I’m writing, I have to finish it. In other words:
THIS SH*T JUST GOT REAL, Y’ALL.
I gave a few chapters of the current work to the über-talented (hope that little umlaut worked) Josh Powers, who did the original artwork for my Gabriel trilogy, and he’s already throwing some great ideas back at me. So without further ado, the work-in-progress cover for LIBERATION, Book One of the Horde Wars:
Okay, okay – I pulled a fast one. This is just a tentative shell I’m starting with – Josh’s art will come later down the road, and may change a bit as the story progresses. And who knows, I may even change the title. I’m not yet 100% sold on “Horde” as the bad guys, nor 100% sold on “Liberation” as the final title. And of course, as always, I’ll continue to play with the fonts. But right now, it’s the flavor-du-jour, and I’m rolling with it.
The setting has been established, the characters mostly fleshed out, the conflict brewing, and the plot line worked out (for the most part…these things tend to write themselves in different directions as we go along). And now with a cover on the way, it’s time for me to get back to work.